Friday, October 21

Let's play (dough)

I have a toddler who is a handful. (exhibit A):


He's not bad, he's just a busy-body (I'll take credit for that one- - he's just like his mom). I've been looking for fun things to do on the weekends or before dinner when he's gone into full-out crank mode. Again, Pinterest and all of it's lovely pinners came to my rescue. I happened upon this particular recipe (because there's about a million of them) mainly because I loved the picture:

Photo Source: How does she?

(Ok, so I'm a little shallow). But it turns out that it really is amazing. It was quick and easy and clean up was painless, which, let's face it is something I look for when contemplating a DIY project. The recipe was easy to follow and I already had everything I needed in my pantry: Recipe courtesy of How does she?

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
food coloring (I used 4 drops)

Just dump all the ingredients into your pot and give them a good stir.  Enlist some small help if possible – they will think you are magic.

Put your pot on the stove and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it forms into a ball.

As soon as it joins into one big glob, take it off the heat and dump it onto your counter or some wax paper.  Wait for it to cool, then knead it a few times until it is nice and soft.  This is where you have to use a little self control to let the kids have a turn too.:)

I'm happy to report that Ethan loves it (and really so do I). He's played with it in excess of 3 times, which is some kind of a record for one of this kids' toys. Something really has to blow his mind to be played with more than once or twice.



We (and by 'we' I mean 'me') have plans to make up a couple more batches of this squishy goodness and wrap it up all pretty, eh hem, 'cool' for Ethan's little day care buddies for Christmas.

Roll up those sleeves and roll out that dough, homies. This one's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment