Monday, October 24

Put your pretty pants on

Ok gals, it's time for us to learn how to get pretty.

Let me start by saying that I wish I were more "girly", whatever that means. I rarely paint my nails and when I do it narrowly escapes my obsession with trying to peel off my polish in one piece (odd, I know). I can't remember when the last time I painted my toe nails was or when I shaved my legs for that matter. (Okay, that last one's a lie, but it was last week...................EEEEEK). I suck at doing my hair, hence my coveted ponytail holders and black stretchy headband things that are ALWAYS on my wrist, ready at a moments notice to destroy any lame attempt I may have made at a "do". I'm not a big makeup wearer. It's hit or miss if I put any on (though, trust me, I do look better with it). 

I am attempting more of an effort to get prettied-up, especially in this dull-dreary, no sunshine weather we've been experiencing.  I need a little pick-me-up and thought I'd share my pretty discoveries. Not only are these  fantastic homemade scrubs and other lovelies just the ticket, they would look adorable in your bathroom. Bonus. Bath "stuff" that doubles as decoration ? Well, count me in

This pretty scrub is from Deliciously Organized
Delicious Scrub Recipe
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/3 cup celtic sea salt
1/2 cup organic coconut oil
2-3 tablespoons almond oil
1 tablespoon Vitamin E
Lavender Essential Oil

 Doesn't this look good enough to eat? (Maybe a little gritty though, eh?)

And I love these bath fizzies from Martha Stewart
Tools and Materials
1/2 cup citric acid
1 cup baking soda
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup organic cane sugar
About 6 drops food coloring
10 to 15 drops essential oil(s)
Special equipment: 2-ounce travel-size spray bottle, plastic pipette, silicone ice-cube tray, storage jars
Directions
1. Stir together citric acid, baking soda, and cornstarch in a glass measuring cup. 
2. Pass mixture through a fine sieve or a flour sifter into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar. 
3. Fill spray bottle with water, and add food coloring. Spritz mixture lightly (it should become damp but not fizzy) until you can pack mixture with your hands. 
4. Using pipette, add oil, 1 drop at a time, until strength of scent is to your liking. Using a metal spoon or your hands, mix ingredients until color is even throughout (mixture will begin to dry out; when this happens, spritz until packable again). 
5. Spoon into ice-cube tray, pressing firmly. Let dry at room temperature overnight. Pop out of tray gently. Transfer to jars.

I love how lemon-y this looks. Again, I want to eat it ! 

Citrus Salt Body Scrub (thank you Paula Deen)

1/2 cup sea salt
1/2 cup sweet almond oil
(can substitute light olive oil or vegetable oil)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon orange zest

Directions


In a medium dry bowl, combine all ingredients making sure to not let any water touch them as it will dissolve the salt. Pour mixture into an airtight container and store in a cool dry place.

To use: Just before showering, swirl ingredients together with your fingertips to mix. Clean body completely and just before exiting shower, apply Citrus Salt Body Scrub to body in a firm circular scrubbing motion with hands or a soft washcloth. Rinse off the mixture and pat body dry with a clean towel.

And here's another one from Paula Deen, a Honey Almond Bath Soap




Ingredients 

1 cup sweet almond oil (you may substitute a light olive oil)
1/2 cup Savannah Bee Company honey (you may substitute any local or organic honey)
1/2 cup liquid hand soap
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions

In a medium bowl, add the oil and slowly stir in the remaining ingredients until fully incorporated. Pour mixture through a funnel into a clean plastic bottle with a squeeze top. Be sure to shake gently before using. Squeeze desired amount under running water into a bathtub. Step in and enjoy a silky luxurious bath that will moisturize your skin while you soak.

I don't know about you, but I think I've just been inspired to want to grab my razor, shave my legs and soak in an Almond Honey bath. Enjoy homies!


P.S.I have an upcoming post on a Hand Made Christmas and I think that some of these would make perfect gifts 

No comments:

Post a Comment