Thursday, January 5

How to revamp an old brass chandelier (a DIY project)

Have you ever come across an awesome chandelier bought thought "Ugh, it's brass". Well, never over look a hanging treasure again. With the magic of spray paint, these gaudy antiques can become a real centerpiece for any room.

When I decided I wanted to tackle this project, I went Craigs List hunting and found an awesome brass, 10 light chandelier for $50. I offered the nice lady $35 and she took it, stating "I'd really just like to get rid of this darn thing". The entire drive there I wondered what she meant by that statement. Well, the first time I saw it, I realized why. It was HUGE. Much bigger than it looked in the picture. But I drove him, with the sound of a clanging goody in my backseat, grinning from ear to ear. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it, so it was off to Home Depot I went. I bought several cans off white primer and a glossy white spray paint. I ordered some retro-looking round chandelier globe bulbs on Amazon and got to work.

Here is a great step by step tutorial on how to turn your "trash" into treasure. I found that the most important step NOT to skip is sanding that baby down. Otherwise, good luck getting your paint to stick. But, once you sand her down, tape her off and prime her, the possibilities are endless.

Here's how ours turned out:


I love this thing. And bonus, when you first turn it on in the morning, it doubles as a tanning lamp. Hee hee.

Here are some more great chandelier inspirations:





Source: Addicted to decorating

No comments:

Post a Comment